Is it The End of Middle School Participation in High School Sports?

Middle school students’ participation in high school sports may be coming to an end.  On Friday, March 21, Superintendent Mulqueen announced Ken Kelly, the assistant principal of the Pentucket Regional Middle School, will take on the role of principal July 1, 2014.

According to the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association’s handbook Rules and Regulations Governing Athletics, middle school students may participate only when the high school principal oversees both schools.  Rule 53 specifically states, “A middle school student is eligible to represent a senior high school on its athletic teams only when the MIAA member high school includes those grades and they are under the direct jurisdiction and supervision of the high school principal” (MIAA 52).

In an article by Jennifer Solis in the Newburyport Daily News on August 1, 2013, Superintendent Mulqueen moved Dr. Lay from the Pentucket Middle School to the Dr. John C. Page Elementary School on an interim basis, and intended to have a new principal in place there before July 1, 2014.  Looks like he did just that.

Sources:

Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association, Rules and Regulations Governing Athletics, July 1 2013- June 30, 2015.  www.miaa.net

Solis, Jennifer. “Page School Principal to retire at end of December”.  Daily News, 8 Aug.2013.web/ http://www.newburyportnews.com/local/x1094944738/Page-School-Principal-to-retire-at-end-of-December