#1 on the Field AND #1 on the Stage

#1 on the Field AND #1 on the Stage

What is the difference between a band geek and a jock? Not a lot actually.

Here at Pentucket there are many talented dual musicians and athletes right within our own halls.

But how do they do it? Is it difficult to juggle both activities? Do they enjoy both activities equally, or is one more of a hobby than the other? The answers vary depending on one’s level of musicianship versus the level of athleticism one possesses.

Pentucket junior Seth Malonson is a one season varsity athlete as well as a year round musician. Seth plays soccer in the fall and trombone all year in the concert band, jazz combo and big band.

When asked which activity takes more effort, Seth reported that his trombone requires more than soccer because of how contributory it is to his life. Seth believes that being a musician takes precedence in his own life, but many other athletes or musicians believe their activity is much more important.  

However, Seth believes that for a majority of students, being an in season athlete is more important than being a musician. He says, “Soccer takes a little more strategy,” and that he “could always use more time to practice.”

Matt Maloney, Pentucket sophomore, believes that sports definitely have priority in his life. When asked what he puts more effort into he revealed that he puts 100% into soccer and track, and only 90% into percussion. He sees sports as being a natural thing for him, while playing an instrument takes more mental focus.

Contrarily, Matt’s peers see him more as being a drummer than being an athlete, even though he believes he puts more effort into sports than into the arts.

Alec Perrotti is also a sophomore here at Pentucket, as well as a three season athlete. He believes that playing a sport is more challenging than playing an instrument because “it takes a lot more effort.” However, he believes sports are just a way for him to pass time, while playing music is much more fun for him.

Perrotti thinks that performing is much less stressful than competing. He says, “You can have a really bad game, and the experience can be bad, but if you have a bad performance it can still be rewarding.” Although he believes this, he still knows a lot more about his sport than his music because he has been playing his sport much longer.

Overall, students’ perspectives on playing a sport at the same time as being a musician vary. The perspective depends on the student because while most students are successful in both areas, each individual has a personal preference to one or the other.
It is a very cool thing to be so successful in both sports and music, and the halls at Pentucket are blessed the presence of these individuals.