Reducing Stress for the Busy Student

Reducing Stress for the Busy Student

Lauren DeBoyes, Writer

Any high school student would agree that the school year can be incredibly stressful.  Between school, homework, work, and sports there is hardly any time for much else.  With first quarter coming to a close, all Pentucket students are feeling the pressure.  However, there are ways to be prepared and stress free in the middle of a busy schedule.  This can be achieved simply by taking half an hour out of your day for stress-relieving activities.  Here are effective ways to relieve stress for busy students.  

1. Take a power nap.  

Students with their busy schedules find it difficult to get the recommended eight hours of sleep.  Trying to retain information in a sleep-deprived state can be extremely difficult, even next to impossible.  Attention spans decrease and productivity rates fall.  Don’t be ashamed to take a twenty minute power nap before starting homework or sports.  It is extremely effective to come back to homework and life with newfound energy.  

1. Get daily exercise.  

Physical activity leaves you feeling happier and more relaxed.  Exercise acts as an outlet for frustration and negative emotions.  Biking or running before school can ensure your energy and attention throughout the day.

1. Listen to music.  

Music is extremely relaxing, and in this way it can control your stress levels.  Listening to classical music while studying or before bed can release stress hormones and leaves you feeling renewed.  Even listening to upbeat music to wake up in the morning better prepares you for the busy day ahead.  

1. Stay organized.  

Be sure to keep your study area organized.  Cluttered work spaces and lifestyle can result in increased stress.  Keep track of all your notes and assignments; you’ll be happy you did when you see a zero on schoolloop!

1. Spend time with friends and family.  

No matter how busy your schedule may be, it is important to take a break once in awhile to relax and laugh with those who are close to you.  As important as school and homework is, you have to remember not to take life too seriously.  You know what they say: laughter is the best medicine!  

1. Eat right.  

Keeping on a healthy diet isn’t only better for your health, it’s better for your mind too.  A healthy diet will keep you feeling great and productive in life.  Be sure you are getting the necessary nutrition from all the food groups.  

1. Avoid procrastination.  

Stay on top of your schoolwork!  There’s a reason teachers give you assignments several days before it’s due!  Time-management is one of the most important skills to have as a student.  Work on assignments periodically instead of pushing it off to the last minute.  Doing this will ensure your best work instead of rushed work and keep your stress levels down.  

8)   Avoid over-scheduling.  

Sometimes it’s unavoidable; however, there are certain steps to take to avoid an overly busy schedule.  As mentioned in the previous tip, use time-management skills to stay on top of schoolwork.  If you know you have a football game tomorrow, don’t try to cram your entire English essay into that night too!  The grade you will receive won’t be satisfactory.  Also, do not let your schedule be over dominated by your social life.  Don’t agree to have a sleepover with your friend if you know you have a project due the next day!

9)   Most importantly: STAY POSITIVE!  

If you think you’re going to fail an Algebra exam and you don’t study for it at all, you will fail it!  Think positive thoughts and give everything your best shot.  Putting everything you have into a History essay and getting a C+ is better than not trying at all.  Remember: everything will work out in the end.  

How do you handle stress?  Let us know in the comments below!