News or Noise? Not My President Protests

Demetrios Thornton, Editor in Chief

Since Donald Trump was named President-Elect of the United States, there have been many outraged throughout our great country. In a country where we are given a constitutional right to assemble peacefully, these protests are nothing new to us. For some reason, these protests are something we as an American people cannot take our eyes off of. The attention drawn to this matter makes me wonder if these protests are really news, or is it just more campaign noise.

In our country we have a president, who when inaugurated takes an oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. Many are worried that Donald Trump is not fit for this job of Commander in Chief of our country.

Hundreds, and in some cities thousands of people are gathering to protest the President-Elect. These protests range from simple street protests, to a “Woman walk on Washington” staged for Jan. 20, the day of the presidential inauguration. After protests occurring in cities such as Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Los Angeles, New York City, and Portland, many are worried about the protests. As the protests have begun to become violent with a death occurring during a Protest in Portland, Oregon.

After asking several Pentucket students and faculty how they feel on the protests against the presidential election results, and how they feel about those protesting stating Donald Trump was not their president.

Senior Thatcher Phillips said, “It’s over, I don’t think it’s necessary.”

Junior Jason Porter supported that point by stating, “ I think it’s ridiculous. It’s a democracy; if half the people like him why can’t the other half deal with it?”

A sophomore at Pentucket Daniels Lathum also felt the same way, stating that ”It won’t help; it’s not going to change anything.”

After a lot of research and talking to Pentucket students and faculty, my conclusion is that the protests across the country are simply noise.

In a country where we are allowed to assemble peacefully and say whatever we want, it seems these protests are just the American people doing what we do best, and that’s making noise. I do have immense respect for those fighting for what they believe is right, but fighting for something that no matter how much you yell or march is not going to change is just making noise.

Those that are struggling with the decision need to listen to the advice of Pentucket faculty member Mrs. Merritt: “We have to suck it up and live with our choice right now.”