News or Noise? Not My President Protests

Demetrios Thornton, Editor in Chief

Since Donald Trump was named President-Elect of the United States, there have been many outraged throughout our great country. In a country where we are given a constitutional right to assemble peacefully, these protests are nothing new to us. For some reason, these protests are something we as an American people cannot take our eyes off of. The attention drawn to this matter makes me wonder if these protests are really news, or is it just more campaign noise.

In our country we have a president, who when inaugurated takes an oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. Many are worried that Donald Trump is not fit for this job of Commander in Chief of our country.

Hundreds, and in some cities thousands of people are gathering to protest the President-Elect. These protests range from simple street protests, to a “Woman walk on Washington” staged for Jan. 20, the day of the presidential inauguration. After protests occurring in cities such as Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Los Angeles, New York City, and Portland, many are worried about the protests. As the protests have begun to become violent with a death occurring during a Protest in Portland, Oregon.

After asking several Pentucket students and faculty how they feel on the protests against the presidential election results, and how they feel about those protesting stating Donald Trump was not their president.

Senior Thatcher Phillips said, “It’s over, I don’t think it’s necessary.”

Junior Jason Porter supported that point by stating, “ I think it’s ridiculous. It’s a democracy; if half the people like him why can’t the other half deal with it?”

A sophomore at Pentucket Daniels Lathum also felt the same way, stating that ”It won’t help; it’s not going to change anything.”

After a lot of research and talking to Pentucket students and faculty, my conclusion is that the protests across the country are simply noise.

In a country where we are allowed to assemble peacefully and say whatever we want, it seems these protests are just the American people doing what we do best, and that’s making noise. I do have immense respect for those fighting for what they believe is right, but fighting for something that no matter how much you yell or march is not going to change is just making noise.

Those that are struggling with the decision need to listen to the advice of Pentucket faculty member Mrs. Merritt: “We have to suck it up and live with our choice right now.”

1 Comment

One Response to “News or Noise? Not My President Protests”

1. Mac Mansfield-Parisi on March 2nd, 2017 12:08 pm

why don’t you interview some of the AP government students? I think, having studied the impact that the leaders have had on our country in the past, I think they’d have an interesting take on the current situation

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• News or Noise? Not My President Protests

Showcase

Poetry Out Loud Competition Winners

Showcase

Wire Sculpture Art Field Trip Photos

Showcase

Creative Writing Coffee House Pictures!

News

Logan Sherwood back at Pentucket

News

Superintendant’s Art Gallery

News

Chorus and Band Spreading Holiday Cheer

News

Homecoming

Showcase

Boys Cross Country: All-States Bound

News

Helping out at Nichol’s Village

News

Halloween at Pentucket