Too Soon for Christmas Tunes?

Jessie Anderson, Writer

People break out the Christmas tunes at different times. What is considered too soon for the Christmas mood?

Sophomore Annika Ellis says that she watches Elf after Thanksgiving. Junior Max Masterson turns on the Christmas music before Halloween. Junior Haley Clemons begins to listen to her favorite song, “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” in mid-October.

There is a large variety of Christmas music to listen to from pop to the classics. Ellis’ favorite song is ¨Carol of the Bells.¨ Sophomore Lauren DeBoyse enjoys the Ariana Grande Christmas Album, ¨Christmas and Chill.¨ Sophomore Audra Foster loves the Charlie Brown Christmas song.

With the “25 Days of Christmas” on the channel Freeform, many people can enjoy their favorite Christmas movies during the holiday season. Junior Tori Kelliher’s favorite Christmas movie is divided between “The Polar Express,” “A Christmas Story,” and “A Christmas Carol.” “Elf” is another popular movie choice, as Junior Cassie Wright enjoys this move after Thanksgiving.

Retail shops have different ideas on when to begin putting Christmas deals and decorations on display. According to thebalance.com, Best Buy launched their Christmas deals on November 1 in 2010.  Rite Aid offered two aisles for halloween candy and costumes, while Christmas decorations were on sale in the next aisle.

There are downsides to premature holiday sales campaigns though. Pushing the Christmas spirit too early, like a few days after Halloween, can cause customers to roll their eyes. The cost of hiring seasonal help so early will raise the cost of paying employees. Displaying Christmas items too early does not guarantee that they will be sold, and the store could lose money by not replacing those untouched Christmas items with things that would be sold.

CNBC reported that 71 percent of Americans polled said they were either “annoyed” or “very annoyed” with retailers who put out Christmas items before Halloween.

According to CNBC, ““Only 59 percent of respondents in this age group, who fall between ages 18 and 29, said they feel annoyed when holiday items appear early. In fact, 12 percent said they either “like” or “love” it. That compares with less than 8 percent of the second-most accepting group, 30- to 44-year-olds, who said they “like” or “love” the shift [between seasons]. The least accepting of the Christmas creep was the 45 to 60 age group.”  

According to the Church year, the Christmas season is from December 24 to January 9th.

It begins with vigil Masses on Dec. 24, and ends on the Feats of the Baptism of the Lord on Jan. 9.

The Advent season is also celebrated with nativity scenes and buying gifts to “honor God the Father’s gift of his only son to the world.” Advent is made up of the four Sundays leading up to Christmas Eve. According to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, “The Advent season is a time of preparation that directs our hearts and minds to Christ’s second coming at the end of time and also to the anniversary of the Lord’s birth on Christmas.”

Overall, Christmas is celebrated at different times among different people in America. Pushing Christmas onto others too soon has some benefits and some risks. What do you think is the best time to get in the Christmas mood?

Sources:

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/christmas/

https://www.thebalance.com/when-does-christmas-holiday-sales-season-begin-3515947

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yXQViqx6GMY/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year/advent/index.cfm?utm_source=advent&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=advent/