Cat vs Dog: Who Really Is a Man’s Best Friend

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

Julia Martins, Writer

For the longest time, there has been a controversy over which common household pet is better, cats or dogs? Many people argue that dogs are a man’s best friend but what if the real best friend is a cat? Or maybe the truth is it has always been dogs. 

This controversial topic brings many questions to the table. One of them is “What are the pros to owning each of them?”. For example, a pro to owning a dog is you can take it outside and go on walks with it. They are a more high-energy pet.  Whereas pro of a cat is you can cuddle on the couch and they are a more low-energy pet. 

Another question that may arise is “What are the cons?” maybe a con to owning a dog can be that they need more attention. There are many pros and cons to owning both. 

I asked Ashley Gagnon, a Junior at Pentucket High School, her opinion on who really is a man’s best friend.

“I think that cats can be just as good a friend as dogs. I love my cat and he really is a good friend,” Gagnon said. “I believe it depends on the person because my family and I really like cats and believe that they can be a man’s best friend.” So from a cat owner’s perspective, it seems like it depends on the person. 

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

In an article they state, a scientific study conducted by reporters in Times news “showed that the dynamics underlying the relationship between mutually adoring cats and their humans are nearly identical to human-to-human bond”. 

The article also talks about researchers at Oregon State University finding that cats can also form strong bonds with humans just like dogs can. So, maybe cats really are a man’s best friend

Another good point made by the article was that cats are self-sufficient, meanwhile, dogs rely on humans more. Many people feel that dogs are friendlier and more energetic than cats but cats can also be very friendly and energetic.

Alyssa Lare, a Junior at Pentucket says, “Dogs you can play with and take outside and everything, whereas cats just like to sleep all day.” 

When asked about the benefits to owning a dog rather than a cat, she states, “I think some benefits are I’m able to throw a ball and play fetch with my dog, and that keeps me very entertained.” 

Lare thought some cons to owning a cat were, “They spit up hairballs, which is kind of nasty. Plus they poop and pee in your house which is also nasty.” 

Finally when asked the big question of who really is a man’s best friend Lare said,“Dogs all the way, they are fun, adorable, and help you feel less stressed. They are the original man’s best friend.”

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

From the looks of it we might never know the real answer about who is a man’s best friend. As Gagnon previously stated before, it might just be personal preference. Some people are just cat people, while others like dogs better. Or maybe you like both of them. Who knows, but in the long run a man’s best friend is whatever you want, whether it be a cat, dog, or even a fish!