Our Drowning Voices

Image Source: India Today Group Digital

Parker Greason, Writer

America feels broken, and this society we call united has never felt more divided. 

As a youth in America, it’s frustrating. It’s frustrating because I feel I have so much to say, but it is never heard. It’s frustrating having to sit back and watch a country I love become something I’m embarrassed to be a part of.

Throughout the past couple of months, it has been noticeable how passionate people are becoming through the influence of social media. This is especially true regarding the Black Lives Matter Movement and, more recently, opinions concerning the 2020 presidential election. Despite the availability of this existential resource, social media can only get us so far. The youth voices of this nation still feel unrepresented. 

Bella Mooney, a junior at Central Catholic High School, noted, “Yes, I do feel unrepresented, but I’m a child. Why would they want to listen to me?”

Finn Underwood, another junior from Central Catholic, added, “Sometimes I feel I am represented, but the world is so much more focused on adults. I wish people would at least try to pay more attention and listen to the younger audience.”

Image Source: Pew Research Center

According to Pew Research Center, The U.S. electorate is aging: “52% of registered voters are ages 50 and older, up from 41% in 1996.” Despite “the median age among all registered voters increasing from 44 to 50” in the past 20 years, 2020 marks the first election the majority of Generation-Z voters (born after 1996) are able to participate in the election. In fact, “one-in-ten eligible voters this year are members of Generation Z.” Although not everyone eligible to vote casted a ballot, the 2020 presidential election had one of the highest voter turnout rates, and it’s estimated “around 13-15 million of those votes” were cast by Gen-Z in this electorate.

The 2020 presidential election has been one of the most important elections in modern history. Yet, despite its importance, it feels like it’s not being taken seriously. The presidential debates are being treated as arguments between two children. Politics only focus should be on helping the American people, but instead it just seems like it serves an old boys’ club.  

In addition to youth voices struggling to be heard, women are also underrepresented. As a young woman in society, it’s discouraging to see the role models we have chosen. Donald Trump has been charged with the sexual misconduct of over 26 women since the election in 2016. Despite later dismissing the allegations of harassment, groping, and rape, Trump has openly expressed his involvement with such women, as he was even heard boasting about “grabbing” women’s genitals in 2005. According to Business Insider, even though he couldn’t have engaged in the alleged behavior with certain women because he wasn’t “physically attracted to them,” Trump countered, “Every woman lied when they came forward to hurt my campaign […] Total fabrication. The events never happened. Never.” Trump later dismissed he was going to sue the women who “got paid a lot of money” to make up stories about him, but he never did. According to the National Public Radio, the Democratic presidential candidate, Joe Biden, has also been accused by Tara Reade in March of 2020 of sexually assaulting her in 1993 in a Capitol Hill office building when she was his staff assistant in the Senate office.

Image Source: Pew Research Center

Mooney added, “I feel like women’s rights are being taken away. Abortion, and access to planned parenthood; these are my natural rights. These elderly men are in charge, and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

In accordance to Pew Social Trend, two years after Hillary Clinton became the first woman to win the presidential nomination of the Democratic party, “a majority of Americans say they would like to see more women in top leadership positions.” Unfortunately, this has yet proven to be true. For example, in Massachusetts, “27 percent of mayors are women,” according to the September 2020 addition in Boston Magazine. It’s often treated as a gift to have a woman in politics. Most surveyed say “men still have an easier path to the top, and that women have to do more to prove their worth.Women shouldn’t have to fight for a political seat in our government. 

What does this mean for the future of America? With the recent election victory for Joe Biden, the world is bound for change: Biden’s nomination, as well as the events this election has brought, is going to have a major impact on America. Although it’s hard to focus due to an extremely eventful year, we are living a moment which will be remembered forever in history. It’s time to speak up and start making change. If the youth voices in America weren’t heard then, they have to be heard now. 

Voices from the Youth: 

“As a woman I feel unrepresented, but as a young woman this is more so. I’m only 17 so I can’t vote. I wish I could vote, though, because then I feel like my voice will actually matter. I’m president of our Environmental Club, and I participate in community service programs, and openly support women’s rights and the Black Lives Matter movement. Maybe this is me just being cynical, but I feel like everything I do still isn’t enough because then I look up and see who our leaders are, and I’m shocked. I’m shocked, and I’m disappointed.”

Ella Thompson, Junior (Triton Regional High School)