What Are Your Thoughts on Social Media and How has it Shaped your Life?

Photo Source: Pexels.com

Photo Source: Pexels.com

Kat Valeri, Writer

We live in a generation where social media platforms impact everyones day to day lives. To most older people, it seems that social media and cell phones are just a huge distraction. Sure, this statement can be truthful, but not 100% of the time. Social media is a huge part of today’s society and can affect anyone and everyone. But there is still the question of, is social media a more negative or positive piece of technology?

Personally, my life has been shaped by social media in both positive and negative ways that have changed my life. In my opinion, I think social media can be both a wonderful yet terrifying thing. So here’s my question, how has social media shaped your life? 

College Freshman James Valeri says, “I would say social media has been a blessing and a curse to all, but to me it has been more of a curse.” Valeri also states,“after having been hacked on Instagram, I am way more cautious in how I go about my social media usage. I see it now as more of a tool, to help me put myself out there and get eyes on my music, and I will never allow social media to become ‘my life’, as a lot of unfortunate teenagers have done which definitely gives social media a negative connotation.” Valeri also states an important fact; “if you’re not careful, it can suck you up into wasting your life away behind a screen or following influencers who don’t know what they’re talking about, thus leading to many issues in society”. 

“When used responsibly it is great, when used irresponsibly it can be detrimental.” To Valeri, social media is “Truly a blessing and a curse that has shaped me for the better.”

College Freshman Max Collins says, “Personally I have always tried to stay off social media,” he adds, “I also feel like it takes too much effort to keep up with posting and replying to comments. I’ve made attempts at it in the past but I’ve noticed that the amount of pressure it adds to my life for the reward is just not worth it”. Collins says, “Social media has come in handy for getting in touch with people when I don’t have other contact info for them. I think everyone is different and responds to social media in a different way, which is awesome if they’re healthy about it, but personally it’s just not really for me.”

Photo source: Pexels.com

Sophomore Bella Huggins says, “I personally think that social media has shaped my life in a very positive way. I know a lot of people talk about the downfalls of it and how it takes over and I do agree with that however I also believe that my life has been influenced by social media in a productive way. I use it a lot and I do use my phone a lot but it helps make my life easier and helps me connect with the people I love and need in my life. I am very thankful for social media and how it has made my life easier and better and I can’t imagine my life without it.”

Photo Source: Pexels.com

Sophomore Brie Brancato says, “I wish social media didn’t have as big of an impact in my life than it does. It makes me have a negative mindset. However, I appreciate the aspect of it where it’s used to spread important information. But I hate that it causes comparisons between ourselves and others.”

Many people have said very similar things about social media; it’s good but it’s bad, it’s helpful but it’s also hurtful, “it’s a blessing and a curse”. How do you see social media and how has it shaped your life?