• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Pentucket’s Queer Representation vs. Discrimination

Photo Source: pexels.com
    Photo Source: pexels.com

Discovering your identity is a huge part of every teen’s life, whether it’s what you like, who you like, what you want your profession to be, or just who you are as a human being. As important as it is, expressing yourself can be intimidating in a large, public high school. The Pentucket community has tons of spirit and support schoolwide, but how is its representation of the much smaller LGBT+ community?

Mr. Bates, one of our principals at Pentucket, was questioned on his views of our school’s representation of the LGBT+ community. He believes that our faculty is supportive of and educated on the topic; some are even a part of the community itself. Bates also added that staff could always benefit from further education on the concept. 

Students were also given a chance to voice their opinions of Pentucket’s representation. In a survey taken by LGBT+ students at Pentucket, senior Narjis Musa said they felt seen “when a few of [their] teachers used [their] preferred pronouns and made sure not to misgender [them], even using gender-neutral terms when referring to [them].” Other students recall their preferred names being added to the system, and their friends using their correct pronouns. 

On the other hand, students voiced their experiences with discrimination at our school. “I’m constantly called slurs and made fun of for being transgender and pansexual. Many others experience the same type of bullying for their identity,” said Percy in the class of ‘25. Other students refer to negative comments being made, being left out of class activities, and forms of harassment. Bates mentioned that he has worked with students in the community who have been teased and bullied, occasionally through social media. 

Bates, responding to what he thinks should or could be done about discrimination at Pentucket, said he believes it would be beneficial to ask members of the community what they think. In the conducted survey, one student suggested that we “spread awareness in things like auditorium meetings, Pentucket News articles…anything to make people respect the LGBTQ+ community in our school in a good way; don’t scare them into it.” Others suggest normalization, education, and less suppression of queer voices. 

In a world full of growing opinions, students of all communities should feel safe and welcome at their school. Pentucket strives to create a healthy learning environment for all students, yet some students feel compelled to make negative comments about what they don’t understand. 

If you or someone you know is being bullied for their sexuality, gender, appearance, or anything of the sort, talk to your guidance counselor, an administrator, or a trusted teacher. Nonetheless, continue to stand with your community, and be proud of who you are!

View Comments (3)