• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Why every High School Student should watch Good Will Hunting

Credit: shotdeck.com
Credit: shotdeck.com

Good Will Hunting is often regarded as one of the greatest films of all time. By having a variety of themes relating to coming of age, love, education, and destiny, almost everyone can take something away from the story. Watching this film would positively influence many students. This is because it evokes a sense of direction in life out of the audience, a want to conquer your fears and desires.

When asked about the importance of the film, Pentucket’s video production teacher and former commercial director Mr. Bart said “The film differentiates emotional intelligence and regular intelligence. It speaks about the trust that comes with being vulnerable to somebody who’s close to you, and what can come from that.”

Credit: shotdeck.com

Drawing connections between the mentor and the student informs how the old teaches the new, and vice-versa. The dynamic between lead actors Matt Damon and Robin Williams’ characters highlights the importance of mentorship. The world lacks these types of relationships. Passing down virtue and wisdom is incredibly important, and films can encourage us to look into these themes more.

Credit: shotdeck.com

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck wrote and starred in the film, and the story of two young men trying to make a name for themselves in the industry is incredibly inspiring.

Mr. Bixby, Pentucket’s art and photography teacher, brings attention to the production of the film. He explains, “The behind-the-scenes aspect is very influential for the youth. Even outside of filmmaking, it brings attention to the hustle that comes with making your dreams come true… I’d say the two guys did just that.”

Source: shotdeck.com

Destiny is eluded throughout the film and evokes the audience to take a leap towards their goals. Understanding your own value, and finding a place where your impact is most significant, is encouraged by Robin Williams’s character. In a time like now, when taking risks and proclaiming your goals has become associated with terms like cringey, it can seem hard to make a breakthrough.

Specifically, in a scene where Damon’s character opens up to his haunting upbringing, he learns the importance of overcoming his past. By allowing himself to become vulnerable, he learns that through confrontation and persistence, lasting trauma can be fought and conquered. This allows his character to follow through with his arc, change as a person, and get on with his life.

The story neglects fears of guilt, shame, and regret, and tells the viewer to take hold of the opportunities they’re given. Enthusiasm for passion in one’s career path is important, and shouldn’t be overlooked.

Source: shotdeck.com

“People call these things imperfections, but they’re not, that’s the good stuff. And then we get to choose who we let into our weird little worlds.” – Sean Maguire (Williams’ character)

Embarking on your goals begins with self-acceptance. Over the course of the film, we learn to commit to ourselves at the same pace and way Damon’s character does. Further self-discovery starts with self-confidence, and by accepting our past, and the many flaws and victories it has, we can all learn to set our lives back into motion the way Will Hunting does. That is why every student should watch Good Will Hunting.

View Comments (9)