• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Should We Really Be “Gatekeeping” Music?

Photo Source: Pixabay.com
Photo Source: Pixabay.com

As you scroll on TikTok or Instagram, a new song you have never heard of plays. You like the song, so you look at the comments to see what the song is called but when opening the comment section all you see is: “This song is too mainstream now!” “It’s only popular because of TikTok” or “I’ve been listening before it was popular.” But what is the big deal with people finding new music they like on social media? Why do we feel the need to “gatekeep” it? 

A couple of songs that have recently become super popular are: “Praise Jah In The Moonlight” by YG Marley, “End of Beginning” by Djo, and “New Perspective” by Panic At The Disco. To get some perspectives I asked some students at Pentucket. 

When asking Aj Haynes, a senior,, he says: “I think people just gatekeep music for clout, and they want others to know they are loyal listeners and not ‘posers’.”

Lily Rowlands, a freshman, states, “We should not be gatekeeping music because if someone wants to listen to your music that means you have good taste, also if the music is gas then everyone should be able to listen to it.” 

While some people may feel that gatekeeping songs is the only way for the songs to still be relatable, many do not think of how their songs getting popular will benefit the artist. If the song or album becomes mainstream then the artist will be more likely to produce more music which will be in favor of the avid listeners. 

Songs can draw traction from the beats, the sound of the artists’ voices, or the lyrics in general. 

To help stop the gatekeeping of good music from the public, the students of Pentucket were asked what their favorite song currently is and where they first heard it.  

I have been enjoying listening to Bob Marley & The Wailers. The songs on repeat in my playlist are “Redemption Song” “Exodus” and “Get Up, Stand Up”, which are very good songs. I can admit that my interest in Bob Marley & The Wailers came about when I watched Bob Marley: One Love over school break, but that shouldn’t mean that I just like his music because it is “popular” now. Reggae music is compelling and distinct so I recommend you give it a try. Some other good Reggae artists and bands are UB40, Peter Tosh, and Manu Chao. 

Jonah Brien says his current favorite song is “Gyroscope” by Boards of Canada and that he heard it in the movie Sinister. Jonah, who loves music, has written a great article about Metal Albums so go check that out here

Jacob Decosta, a new student at Pentucket says, “We shouldn’t gatekeep music everybody should be able to be a part of the art of it. I still think, however, it’s weird when people wear band tees who don’t know the music. I understand why people see that and gatekeep.” Jake’s favorite song currently is “No More Tears” by Ozzy Osbourne. He first heard it from his dad during childhood. 

So in conclusion, a common answer found is that we should not be gatekeeping music. Go check out the songs mentioned and tell as many people as possible! Happy listening and do not be a gatekeeper!