• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

What On Earth Is a Toad

Photo Source: Pixabay
Photo Source: Pixabay

If you are like me, you have probably seen both frogs and toads in the New England wilderness. They look very similar, so why do we call them different names? This article will uncover the key differences between frogs and toads and discover how we came to our current understanding of the two creatures. So hop on and get to reading, this stuff is really ribbeting!

WHAT DEFINES FROGS AND TOADS

Frogs and toads are very similar in nature. Most frogs and toads lay eggs and develop in the water as tadpoles. Both are classified as amphibians and belong to the order Anura which is roughly defined as tailless vertebrates with elongated limbs for jumping that spend their larval stage in water. 

DIFFERENCES

A few differences between frogs and toads are their skin, legs, and lifestyle. Frogs often have wet, slimy skin that is suited to their life in the water while toads have rough, bumpy skin that better suits their life on land. After their larval stage, frogs often spend most of their time in the water while toads migrate towards the land and live under damp logs or in the brush. 

WHY TOADS ARE NOT FROGS

As it turns out, all toads fit into the category of frogs. Some creatures are called both such as the Brazilian Gold Frog, or the Brazilian Flea Toad, according to some people. So then why do we call some frogs toads? The word originates from Old English. Although, there is no record of where exactly it came from. In the 16th century, the word was used as an adjective to describe loathsome people. 

ANECDOTE

Heather Szabo is my mom and she works at an urgent care clinic. However, she used to work at the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary(IRWS) and regularly conducted tours of the vernal pool which provides an essential habitat to many amphibious life forms. We asked her for some information about the Toad vs. Frog situation and here is what she had to say:

INTERVIEW

Describe your experience with amphibians when working at the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary(IRWS).

Heather described two activities that she participated in. One activity she described as “ponding” involved taking children out on the river and searching for animals such as tadpoles. Another activity was a program that ran in the spring called “The Big Night” where visitors would watch various amphibians travel to the vernal pool to lay their eggs.

How do you differentiate frogs and toads?

Heather says that the main things she uses to differentiate frogs and toads are skin texture, dryness, and body structure. She says that toads are dryer and bumpier than frogs and noticeably more stout. 

Did you know that all toads are frogs? If not, were you surprised to learn this?

Heather had heard that toads fit into the category of frogs before so she was not surprised when I told her.

Do you think people should begin to call toads frogs or leave things the way they are?

Heather thinks that toads and frogs do have important differences despite falling into the same category, thus we should continue to name them separately. 

What is the best way to find toads and frogs in the wild?

Heather says that it is best to search on the ground near water or wetlands when looking for toads and frogs but it is possible to find frogs in the water or even in trees. 

CONCLUSION

You will be hoppy to know that toads are, by all means, frogs. People like Heather usually differentiate them based on their physical appearance and habitat. In other words, if toads did not have chronic eczema, people would call them frogs. Some may argue that toads and frogs are not the same, but now you are equipped with the knowledge to think for yourself. If you want to witness these creatures in your own life, you simply need to get off your toadstool and get outside!

View Comments (6)