• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Controversial Novels

Controversial+Novels
pixabay.com

Why These Books?

The English curriculum for 9th grade includes four books to read for the year, three of which are concerning to some. Stories like, Of Mice and Men, Animal Farm, and The Glass Castle have been banned from schools and countries around the world for their inappropriate messages, scenes, or dialogue. Despite the negative push against young teenagers reading these mature novels in other schools and places, the 9th grade curriculum at Pentucket still allows these books to be read and later written about by students. So then, what is the reason for 9th grade students reading these books? 

Of Mice and Men

The novel Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck, follows the journey of Lennie and George working on a ranch during the great depression. The novel features racism towards other characters, usage of slurs, and implicit bias towards physically and mentally disabled characters. The Henry Sibley High School in Montana has decided to stop lessons including the book Of Mice and Men due to complaints of “racist stereotypes and slurs.” 

Animal Farm

The fable Animal Farm, by George Orwell, takes place in the UK during the 1940s. Through the use of farm animals, Orwell recreates the Russian Revolution and shows others how utopian communities are impossible to achieve. However, because of the plot, Animal Farm has been banned entirely in Russia and many other schools because of the message it is sending. The book has been accused of being communist propaganda. This topic of communist propaganda is problematic to teach in schools as the main purpose of this propaganda is to limit one’s critical thinking and create biased views on topics, which isn’t optimal for a learning environment.

The Glass Castle

The memoir The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls, takes readers through her life with her dysfunctional and abusive family. Jeannette wrote this memoir fearing what others would think of her and her family. But Jeannette Walls still decided to write the memoir to show others that overcoming difficulties that occurred in one’s childhood is possible. The Glass Castle was banned in many school districts for including topics such as sexual situations, physical and 

mental abuse, and alcoholism. 

Why do English teachers think it’s important to read these books?

English Department Chair Dr. Ruland says “I trust teachers to choose books with powerful messages that students can learn from, Animal Farm was chosen “because the allegory challenges readers and the messages of one’s role in society.” Of Mice and Men was chosen as “It teaches about empathy,  particularly how people have circumstances beyond their control that create challenges for them. Finally, The Glass Castle was chosen because it was a great, engaging read that had a lot to discuss. It focuses on resilience and overcoming challenges. These themes were important to focus on.” Each book was carefully chosen for specific, but important, reasons.   

What Do Pentucket 9th graders Think of the Books?

Overall, 9th grade students at Pentucket didn’t have a problem with the books chosen for the curriculum this year and understand why they were chosen. Mikayla Daneau says she enjoyed The Glass Castle because it was an interesting nonfiction memoir, however, disliked Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm due to the odd storyline. Penelope Friend thinks Animal Farm was chosen to teach students about what can happen in politics and how power corrupts those who have it. Students at Pentucket are informed beforehand that the topics in the novels could be considered “inappropriate.” However, the students acknowledge the reason why the novels were chosen for the curriculum.

Concluding Response

Teachers have chosen books such as Of Mice and Men, Animal Farm, and The Glass Castle to teach students valuable lessons and messages. Students at Pentucket understand why the novels were chosen and don’t really mind the content of the books. Although these novels contain topics that some schools think are “inappropriate” or “concerning” parents and guardians of 9th grade students put trust in English teachers to properly teach these books and the lessons that come along with them. That is why the 9th grade curriculum continues to teach these novels at Pentucket.

View Comments (2)