Filed under News, Opinion

Sorry to Break it to you, but I Hate Senior Superlatives.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Will Christian Student News Source

Will Christian Student News Source

Will Christian Student News Source

Senior Superlatives have arrived my friends, and oh, they are anything but super.

Helping to determine the genetically and mentally gifted seems to be unfairness at its finest, and besides being unfair, it is pretty much the DEFINITION of stereotyping.

Awarding people titles such as best eyes, class Barbie or best hair, is good for those who are genetically inclined, but a total downer for the rest of us who may be perceived as just “average” Janes and Johns.

Superlatives help to push students into the dark holes of stereotypes that somehow seem to define our high school legacies.  For example, students who were nominated for Most Likely to be Successful were mostly students who took an obscene amount of A.P classes and stretched themselves too thin, in every meaning of the word.

But maybe these “over-achievers” would like to be remembered for something more than being academically, well, perfect?  And what parent would want to hear their son/daughter just won Most Likely to be wanted by the Authorities?  Make that none.

Superlatives only reinforce, and in some circumstances, create, high school stereotypes    (the band geeks, teachers’ pets, wanna-bes, jocks, stoners, and hotties) that many of us are trying desperately to escape by the time we graduate.

Another major problem with superlatives is if you actually scroll down the list, looking at all the names as a whole, you pretty much see the same 10 students over, and over, and over, again.

Sorry to break it to the members of the student council, or whatever group helped to put this together, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that your friend group is able to perfectly fit into every, single, one of the categories.

All in all, superlatives do not fairly show the population of the entire senior class.  It virtually is a popularity contest between the top 15 known people.

Fight for your right to not be stereotyped!

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Sorry to Break it to you, but I Hate Senior Superlatives.”

1. Cecilia Smith on October 10th, 2014 7:07 pm

I sincerely agree with this. I definitely feel that being stereotyped not only leaves those titled with them in a bad position, it also leaves those not given a name feeling lesser than they are. Nobody wants to feel like they have to live up to be something, especially if it’s something they’re not actually that into. Additionally, you could be stereotyped as “Most Likely To Succeed,” and then you don’t. Then, if you don’t get a title, you might feel free of embarrassment, but you might also feel a lack of praise. These Seniors just survived High School and they barely get a pat on the back from anyone. I definitely don’t agree with Superlatives (Great Article BTW), and I don’t think they’re anything more than a popularity contest.

2. Danielle Nadeau on October 13th, 2014 5:00 pm

I completely agree, I’m only nominated for one thing and I’m definitely not going to win because the other girls are more well known then I am, it’s extremely stupid.

3. Megan Hill on October 14th, 2014 9:47 am

I see what you mean about how the superlatives reinforce stereotypes, but I do not believe that they were meant to be offensive. They are just a fun way of describing our peers.

4. Mr. Harty on October 14th, 2014 11:55 am

I understand your perspective here, and agree with your critique. The yearbook staff puts out the superlative voting and do their best to add as many categories as possible to include all types of seniors. It is tradition and is meant to unify the class around some memories of their high school years. I agree that it can be stereotypical, but I’ve always viewed them in jest.

5. Josh Scher on October 15th, 2014 9:01 am

The Superlative system is outdated, and the amount of them should either be increased with more broad interpretation instead of generic and somewhat unimportant choices: some of them have no place anymore I feel. But I think still the idea of the Superlatives is cool and overall enjoyable.

6. Rachel Darke on October 16th, 2014 2:01 pm

I agree with you Ashley! superlatives are basically a just popularity vote

7. BobTheBuilder on February 25th, 2019 11:55 pm

I was voted most quietest and im not even that quiet there are people on my school wayyy more quiet than me like wtf this voting is rigged GOD

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sorry to Break it to you, but I Hate Senior Superlatives.

Feature Article

Lives Matter

Feature Article

Dead Whales in New Zealand

News

2019 Golden Globe Awards

Feature Article

Continued Problems with USA Gymnastics

Feature Article

CRISPR and Moral Missteps

Feature Article

The Rise of E. coli Outbreaks

Feature Article

Last Year’s Cedardale Fire

Feature Article

Holiday Disputes

Feature Article

Operation Save The Rhinos

Feature Article

West Newbury’s Upcoming Bicentennial