Why You Should Play a High School Sport

West Newbury: Pentuckets head coach Steve Hayden huddles with his players as they get ready for the 2nd half action. North Reading Football team defeted Pentucket High School 8-6. Photo by Tim Jean/Eagle-Tribune Saturday, September 06, 2008

Tim Jean

West Newbury: Pentucket’s head coach Steve Hayden huddles with his players as they get ready for the 2nd half action. North Reading Football team defeted Pentucket High School 8-6. Photo by Tim Jean/Eagle-Tribune Saturday, September 06, 2008

Even though they start rough, the end results are worth all of the pain.

Although you need to train all summer to do your best when it matters, it sure is worth it. Once you get through eight hours of doubles, you’re placed on a team according to how physically fit you are, and how much skill you demonstrate. Though this might sound daunting, every high school athlete that you ask will say it’s worth it.

Pentucket sophomore, and two season athlete, Chris Muollo says, “You should play a high school sport because it benefits you in lots of ways. First,” he says, “it keeps you in shape. You also create a bond with your teammates throughout the season that you cannot find anywhere else.”

Muollo goes on to say that the best part of playing school sports in high school is playing against your rivals because there’s always a huge and excited crowd cheering you on no matter what the score is.

Going from middle school to high school is one of the most dramatic translations that most teens have to make. Pentucket sophomore, and three season athlete, Leah Wyner believes that playing a sport helps underclassmen adjust. Wyner says, “It’s a great way to meet upperclassmen because they’re the ones who show you the ropes.”

She goes on to say that not only is it good for the underclassmen themselves to join sports teams, but the upperclassmen benefit from this too. “It gives the upperclassmen a chance to become a leader and a role model for their team mates.”

Being on a team can teach you great collaboration skills that you will find helpful not only at a practice or a game, but in your everyday life.

Pentucket senior, track captain, and two Season athlete, Jake Wildes says, “Team work and comradery are not only the building blocks of sports, but to life. Without them, nothing is accomplished.”

So, next time you, as an underclassmen, are trying to decide whether or not to play a high school sport, just remember that, “it’s a once in a life time experience,” said by Pentucket Junior, Luke Kirmelewicz, who is a part of the ever growing varsity football team.