Teen Coffee Drinkers

Madi Chute, Writer

Every morning when I walk into school, almost 75% of the students are holding a coffee. As a student who participates in morning coffee, I find this normal. But if I take a step back I must wonder, is it healthy?

According to livestrong.com, most teens drink about 400mg of coffee a day. This is at the max of the scale of how much a “healthy” amount is. Anywhere over 400mg can start to be a problem. The excessive caffeine can give teens stomach upsets, agitation, increased heart rate, anxiety, muscular tremors and insomnia, according to MayoClinic.com. It also worsens when teens drink coffee and energy drinks in the same day.

Even though some of us are drinking “healthy” amounts of coffee, others are beginning an addiction. If teens drink coffee regularly and suddenly stop, they will feel some withdrawal, according to livestrong.com. Symptoms of this include achy muscles, headaches, fatigue, sadness, vomiting and impaired mental focus. However, if one does not drink coffee for nine days these symptoms should wear off.

Teenagers are starting to drink coffee at earlier and earlier ages. However, there is no easy way to stop this. The only real solution to teenage coffee addiction is moderation, or the avoidance of excess. If we keep it all in moderation, we will hopefully be able to stay healthy while staying awake!

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Teen Coffee Drinkers”

1. Sam Marchant on January 6th, 2017 12:42 pm

As a coffee and tea drinker, I can relate to this article. I have had times when I’ve gone through withdrawal. Maybe, I should try to go nine days and see if I can break my habit.

[Reply]

2. Lance Pereira on January 6th, 2017 12:51 pm

I do feel the same way. I never drink coffee in the morning. I have never been a fan of it. I still get by well without it.

[Reply]

3. Feni Patel on January 7th, 2017 12:01 pm

It was interesting to know that if one stops drinking coffee for nine days his or her coffee addiction will eventually wear off.

[Reply]

4. Amelia Luke on January 7th, 2017 12:31 pm

As a coffee drinker myself, I am fully aware that I am becoming addicted. You’re right, all we can really do is watch to make sure it doesn’t become a problem!

[Reply]

5. Brooke Daniels on January 9th, 2017 10:24 am

I agree , and I also notice that people are starting to drink coffee at a young age. I personally do not like coffee, so I have not had an issue with it.

[Reply]

6. Katherine Phillips on January 9th, 2017 8:15 pm

This is super super true, I try to not drink very much coffee, yet I do drink a far amount of tea. I know a lot of friends who are pretty addicted to coffee, so much so that it interferes with their nightly sleep and their ability to stay alert and awake at school.
    Maybe I should just stick to water instead…..

[Reply]

7. Noah Roche on January 9th, 2017 10:46 pm

I have never been a fan of coffee myself, but I do occasionally have an energy drink. I wonder if the side affects of those are similar, and if the nine day absence of coffee applies to energy drinks as well.

[Reply]

8. Kim Kowalick on January 10th, 2017 7:34 am

I am a coffee drinker as well, and as I get older, I see kids younger than me start to drink coffee as well. As time goes on, children definitely start drinking coffee at younger ages and become more addicted easily.

[Reply]

9. Lindsey Procurot on January 10th, 2017 9:12 am

I feel like drinking coffee is normal and isn’t really a problem at our age.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

The People Next To You Project

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

How well do you really know Mrs. Merritt? A Proust Questionnaire

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

Isle of Dogs: A New Film by Wes Anderson

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

A Special Holiday Party

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

Are we Finally Getting a New School?

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

Back in the Day: Mr. Bixby

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

Trump vs. The Press

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

Freshman Boston Field Trip

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

Bone Apple Tea

• Teen Coffee Drinkers

News

Not A Joking Matter

Teen Coffee Drinkers