Illegal Baby Names

Back to Article
Back to Article

Illegal Baby Names

(Photo Source: pixabay.com)

(Photo Source: pixabay.com)

(Photo Source: pixabay.com)

(Photo Source: pixabay.com)

IVY DETJENS, WRITER

Celebrities often get ridiculed for the names they chose to give to their children, but is “North West” really the worst baby name? Many people seem to get personally offended by what celebrities name their kids, including when Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin named their baby girl “Apple.” Fans seemed to be up in arms not only with that name but also with names such as “Blue Ivy,” “Chicago,” “Saint,” and many others.

Although celebrities come up with some unusual names for their kids, others come up with names so crazy they are actually illegal to name your child. Baby names are banned for many different reasons, but one reason is because the names can be considered offensive. Another reason is to save the child from a life of embarrassment and being made fun of.

According to Smart Shopping, a French couple tried to name their baby “Nutella,” wanting their daughter to be thought of as sweet and popular like the treat, but the judge did not agree, and the little girl’s name got shortened to “Ella.” Although “Nutella” is a very interesting name that could get someone made fun of, there are much worse things someone could name their child. For example, in Japan, a couple tried to name their child “Akuma,” which means devil. At the time no one made the parents change the child’s name, but now naming one’s child “Akuma” is illegal in Japan.

In New Zealand, parents have to get their potential baby names approved by the government, and if the government does not agree with the name it will get added to a list of banned baby names. Although this seems overboard it can be a good thing, especially for the little girl named “Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii.” The government got guardianship of the nine-year-old girl in order to find a better name of her, according to Smart Shopping. New Zealand may have saved this girl from years of teasing and being made fun of.

It is obvious some parents do not think about how the name they give their child can potentially affect the child’s life, which is the case for a Turkish couple living in Germany who wanted to name their child “Osama Bin Laden.” Luckily for that baby, the German government did not allow it because it could lead to humiliation, according to Smart Shopping.

According to Smart Shopping, another New Zealand name that is banned is “.”. The parents said the name would be pronounced “Full Stop,” the government did not agree with this name either, and it was rejected.

Another name that must be very difficult to live with belongs to a girl whose name has over 1,000 letters. According to OWN, Oprah met the girl in 1997 and she holds the World Record for the longest name, which is “Rhoshandiatellyneshiaunneveshenkescianneshaimondrischlyndasaccarnaerenquellenendrasamecashaunette thalemeicoleshiwhalhinive’onchellecaundeneshea alausodrilynne jeanetri myranae kuesaundrilynnezekeriakenvaunetradevonneyavondalatarneskcaevontaepreonkeinesce ellaviavelzadawne friendsetta jessicanne lescia joyvae lloydietteyvette sparklenesce aundrieaquenettae katilyaevea’ shauwne oraliaevae kizzieshiyjuane wandaleccianne renayeithelia preciousnesceverronecca lovelia tyroneveka carrionne henriettaesce cleonpatra ruthelia charsalynnmeokca monae loisa lynnecsiannemerciadellescicustilla alexetiozetiaquania englaundneshia francethosha romeshaunne  hawaineakowethauandavernellchishankcarlinaaddoneillescia christondrafawndrea laotrelle octavionnemiaria sarahtashabnequcka gailenaxeteshiataharadaponsa deloriakoentesca craignecka dellanier stellavonnemyiatangoneshia diana corvettina godtawndra shirlenescekilokoneya sharrontannamyantoniaaquinettesequioadaurilessiaquatanda merceddia maebellicesca jameshauwnnel tomecapolotyoajohnyae theodora dilcyana.”

The mother wanted her daughter’s name to be unique, which it definitely is considering it is the longest name in the world. Her birth certificate is two feet long, and although the name is not illegal, after she was born a law was passed in Texas stating that a child’s name must fit on the birth certificate, according to OWN.  

More and more parents are trying to come up with creative names for their children because they don’t want them to have a common name or be in class with the three other people with the same name in school, but in some cases that can be better than naming or trying to name your child anything like one of the many banned baby names.