Is College Too Expensive?

(Photo Source: www.bopdesign.com/)

Jordan Cane, Writer

Pentucket High School sends students to prestigious schools all over the United States, such as Northeastern, Rochester Institute of Technology, Tufts, and many more.

However, according to Top Universities.com, the average cost for out-of-state tuition for students is $26,000, Private universities are averaging over $36,000 a year, and in-state tuition is costing $10,000 a year. 

That is a lot of money a year for families with an average income of roughly $69,000 a year. 

“College is way too expensive,” Senior Nolan O’Neil said about the overall price of college.  “The price of college comes from the greed of the school since it is so expensive to run a school.” 

Senior Olivia Sheehan agrees that college is too expensive, saying, “It limits a lot of people to get the education they need.”

Jackson Odams, a senior at St. John’s Prep in Danvers, also stated, Many private schools have extremely large endowments and do not spend that money on scholarships enough.” Jackson is a Bentley University baseball commit, which is one of the largest private universities in the state of Massachusetts. 

In a conducted survey, 21 of the 23 students that participated in the survey said that college was too expensive. Since college is very expensive in the eyes of many people, students lean towards a college that is less expensive even if that means they are totally not sold on the school. This leads to the question: should college be free? 

Sheehan brings up a valid point, saying, “I don’t think it should be 100 percent free, but I don’t think it should be as pricey as it is at all because a lot of kids can be extremely smart and have the potential to have a good career, but yet not be able to afford the schooling they need.”

Bernie Sanders, if he enters office, wants to commission the “College For All Act.” The key points to the act would guarantee tuition and debt free public colleges, universities, trade schools, and minor institutions to all, cancel all college debt to the american people who are combined $1.6 trillion in debt, and invest $1.3 billion into our colleges and universities. 

However, if Sanders does not enter office, there are some tips and tricks to make sure you are getting your bang for your buck.

Ways to save for college

Save up Early – start a college fund as soon as possible. A couple dollars a month will add up in the long run.

Community College – this option lets you get an Associate’s degree at a very low cost and transfer to a four-year school with a lot of promise and no real debt.

Scholarships – You don’t have to have a 4.0 GPA to get scholarships. Be involved in your community and be a well rounded person. Pentucket’s three towns and many other organizations offer scholarships. Just do your research and try to get those scholarships.

Work – you didn’t save up right away; that’s fine. Find a part time job and save up to help your college fund efforts.

College tuition is also filled with many fees and expenses, such as room and board, books, and dining. Also, take accelerated/summer courses in the summer. Most of the time, the classes are much cheaper, and it helps accelerate the process of graduation by one to possibly two years. Take advantage of saving every penny; it will help in the long run. 

New England In-State Rule – The University of Maine started a program for students from Massachusetts if they have a 3.3 GPA or better. Students can receive Maine in-state tuition, so find schools that have the same rule and save some money.

Overall, our community feels that the price of college is very expensive and it is increasing every year. If you are applying for college or looking to apply take every step to make sure college is not a burden on you and your family.