Are Stickers the New Wave of Expression?

Photo Source: Amazon Stock Photos

Photo Source: Amazon Stock Photos

Janie Dunn, Writer

Many students here at Pentucket are creative in a number of ways. One common method of displaying their creativity is by decorating their laptops and/or water bottles. 

When looking around in class, I always see such cool sticker arrangements. I wondered what made that person choose those exact stickers, so I decided I would ask. I conducted a series of questions that I asked each student, and I got some pretty interesting answers. 

Emma Breen:

Photo Source: Janie Dunn

Why these stickers?

“A lot of them are music stickers and I really like music. I have Khalid, Ben Platt, Tyler the Creator, Machine Gun Kelly. It’s also stuff that I’m passionate about, like New York: I wanna live there, I wanna go to college there. The Black Lives Matter movement I’m really passionate about so I put that on here. There’s also a picture of shoes because I really like Jordan’s.”

Any special significance to them?

“The duck one, which sounds stupid, but I have a collection of rubber ducks and I keep them in my car. And then I have Beauty and the Beast, which is like a really nostalgic movie for me, and I always felt connected to her (Belle) as a character. I also have another music one, music is a big part of my life.”

Which one is your favorite?

“Probably the Khalid one.”

Which one is your least favorite?

“Legends Never Die because I ran out of space, and I now have two Juice Wrld ones on there, which makes me a little ‘eh’, but I couldn’t find one that fit in the space better.” 

Bella Panteledes:

Photo Source: Janie Dunn

Why these stickers?

“It’s mostly just because I want people to know these things about me. I guess, I just don’t like empty spaces, like my entire room is covered in posters, and my car is covered in bumper stickers. Um yeah, I just like having stickers on everything, they’re like my little buddies.”

Which one is your favorite?

“I’m gonna have to go with Light Yagami from Death Note. It was just the first sticker I put on my laptop, it was one of the first purchases I made when I got a debit card and it also came with a nice pin.” 

Which one is your least favorite?

“Probably the ghost one just cause it has no real meaning to me, my step-sister gave it to me and I like it, it’s funny, and it says ‘No Feet’ and it’s a ghost.”

Maddie Trainor:

Photo Source: Janie Dunn

Why these stickers?

“Well someone actually told me that putting stickers of my interests on something that I use every day will make me feel better, like make me feel not as embarrassed about liking the things that I do and also because seeing the things I love every day just makes me really happy.” 

Which one is your favorite?

“Probably the WitchDagger sticker from Night in the Woods, which is a video game.”

Which one is your least favorite?

“Yeah, my least favorite is probably the little pigs. I do like them but it’s Inosuke.”

Seamus Dowling:

Photo Source: Janie Dunn

Why these stickers?

“Over February break 2020, I went to Washington D.C. and to the American History Museum, and in the gift shop I saw these stickers and I just got them because I thought they were a cool souvenir. I’d say the most interesting thing in American History is the world wars, so I wanted to put it on and I like history. I have some for World War 1, then some for World War 2, and then some specifically for the women of World War 1 and 2.”

Which one is your favorite?

“I like the Jonah Bark one because I never knew that she was considered [part of] the propaganda for World War 1.”  

Which one is your least favorite?

“The CyberPunk one, it doesn’t really fit the theme.”

Sydney Pichette:

Photo Source: Janie Dunn

Why these stickers?

“I like how they look, and there are things that interest me and bring me joy.”

Which one is your favorite?

“My Marceline sticker just because she’s super cool.”

Which one is your least favorite?

“No, I don’t have a least favorite sticker.” 

As you can see, there are many creative people here at Pentucket who all have compelling interests. As silly as it sounds, something so simple as a sticker can truly have a special and personal meaning to someone, and it can really make them feel good about themselves.