How to Study for Finals

As the all too common threat of finals approaches, do you find yourself faced with answering the impossible question of how to prepare? Here are some simple, effective tips created by students, for students to help ease the stress of another set of finals.

The first thing that is recommended is to set aside time to study at least two weeks before finals, for the brain needs an optimal amount of time to remember 180 days worth of material.

Many students make the mistake of studying a majority of the work just days before their finals, which only adds to their stress. Others decide to study only for their first final. This forces the workload for other subjects to pile up, and therefore, time management is something that students should be very aware of.

Another helpful tactic involves asking teachers for helpful tools, such as study guides. This will give you an extra leg up by letting you know what specifically will be on the test.

Next, make sure that you have plenty of brain food for a fun day of studying. Sun chips and fruit punch are an excellent choice.

Be sure to set up a comfortable and quiet workplace. It is important to make the best decision regarding where you keep distractions, such as your phone or other electronics, in order to stay focused.

If you are able to have your phone near you without constantly being distracted, it may be a smart idea to set alarms to go off every few minutes in order to remind yourself when it is a good time to take a break.

When all of the information is gathered and ready for you to look over, start reviewing the things that you learned at the beginning of the year. It is safe to assume that you remember more about the information you learned last week than the information you learned on September 8th. With that being said, do not forget to set aside some time to review the newer information, as well.

Star student Autumn West studies for finals by “taking all of my subject binders home and flipping through them as they start in September and have all of the information.” Autumn’s method only works if a student is determined enough to prepare not just two weeks before finals but a full nine months ahead of time; however, if you have the same motivation, this idea could really work for you.

If you are not as prepared as Autumn and have not cherished or feather dusted every worksheet given to you since September, make sure to review all of the tests and quizzes that have been completed throughout the year (if you have them), as teachers often take questions from past quizzes and tests to use on the final exam.

It is equally important to make use of all the resources that are available to you. This doesn’t only mean uncovering the four hundred page book that’s been hiding at home since the beginning of the year. There are other resources that can be just as helpful and much less overwhelming.

One useful alternative is Khan Academy. The website consists of several videos and even worksheets that help students prepare for all kinds of tests and quizzes. The site is centered mostly around the maths and sciences, however, and shouldn’t be relied on heavily for help with other subjects.

Finally once all of the studying is over, try to go to bed early and allow your brain time to truly wake up in the morning before school at 7:35. Eat a healthy breakfast and make sure not to forget all the information you just spent hours re-learning.

As tempting as it is, try not to simply waste the entire day after your first exam in order to relax. Instead, spend it studying to the best of your ability. You’ll have all summer to relax as soon as the exam is over!

When all of your exams are over, there’s no better feeling than not having to worry, stress, or feel scared about what grade you’ll get because you know that you prepared to the best of your ability.

Now, after you have aced your finals, after you’ve aced your finals, take the next ten weeks to forget about school until it’s time to start your summer English homework the night before you go back; you deserve it!