Freshman Boston Field Trip

Madi Chute and Max Masterson

On Monday, November 28th the freshman class went to Boston to visit the State House and the John Adams Courthouse. They toured them both to help go along with their current propaganda project concerned with their reading of George Orwell’s Animal Farm.

While at The State House, Lenny Mirra, Representative of the Second Essex district, which includes Merrimac, Groveland, and West Newbury, met up with the freshmen to talk to them about government.

We talked to Representative Mirra after and asked him a few questions about his position and his influence on us concerning the government. He said that he had no government experience when he started. Mirra owned a construction company and was not happy with what was happening in his town, so he decided to take action. He ran and got elected, Now he loves it and is always up to spreading the word of government to the youth. He says it is best to be informed and get involved, because if not there is usually a misunderstanding between people. Now he is one of the few Republicans in the Massachusetts House of Representatives.  

“Learning about the government and coming to the State House is important, especially for students, because it makes them better understand a lot going on in our world especially in light of the recent election,” said Mirra.

We also talked to some students who went. Most students found it to be an interesting field trip. They thought it helped them understand the United States Government a lot better.

Kelly Attwood, a freshman, said, “I really liked it because I am interested in law, so that piece was interesting to me. It was good that I really did not get bored throughout the whole field trip.”  

Overall, the freshman class had a great day learning about the Massachusetts state government.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Freshman Boston Field Trip”

1. Lance Pereira on January 6th, 2017 12:59 pm

I was apart of this my self. I loved it a lot. It was 100% a learning exprenice for me. My brother is a grade under me, I would love for him to see what i saw. I go into Boston a

[Reply]

Lance Pereira Reply:

Opps, it cut off what i said for the resr

[Reply]

Lance Pereira Reply:

rest*

[Reply]

2. Kevin Veno on January 6th, 2017 1:01 pm

I thought this was a very intersecting article. I am one of the Freshmen who went on the field trip. Representative Mirra was a great person and it was very interesting listening to him talk about his job and his role in our government.

[Reply]

3. Morgan Beauregard on January 6th, 2017 10:07 pm

Sounds like an interesting field trip. I wish I had had the opportunity to go on this field trip when I was a freshman!

[Reply]

4. Feni Patel on January 7th, 2017 12:21 pm

Although I didn’t go as a freshman, I am sure it would have been a great experience to learn more about the government.

[Reply]

5. Brooke Daniels on January 9th, 2017 10:15 am

Great article! I was so glad that I went on this trip beacuse I learned so much about our government. I defiantly recommend upcoming freshman to go on this trip in the future.

[Reply]

6. Noah Roche on January 9th, 2017 10:55 pm

I am a little disappointed I never had the chance to experience anything like this my freshman year as it sounds like a great experience, but I am glad others enjoyed it. It would have been fun to visit the state house, etc… as we were reading Animal Farm as well.

[Reply]

7. Vivian on January 10th, 2017 7:41 am

This sounds like a really cool field trip, what a great opportunity to learn more about government

[Reply]

8. Lindsey Procurot on January 10th, 2017 9:07 am

I wish we went on field trips my freshman year. This sounds like a great field trip.

[Reply]

9. Makenna Comeau on January 10th, 2017 5:37 pm

I am glad our school is creating new field trips that go along with the curriculum. I heard many freshman enjoyed it and I hope the trip continues on for the next freshman class.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

The People Next To You Project

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

How well do you really know Mrs. Merritt? A Proust Questionnaire

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

Isle of Dogs: A New Film by Wes Anderson

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

A Special Holiday Party

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

Are we Finally Getting a New School?

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

Back in the Day: Mr. Bixby

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

Trump vs. The Press

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

Teen Coffee Drinkers

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

Bone Apple Tea

• Freshman Boston Field Trip

News

Not A Joking Matter

Freshman Boston Field Trip