Back to School… In April?

Photo Source: Google Images

Alyssa Thompson, Writer

Covid has brought many obstacles to students in the past year. However, most students were able to persevere through them and find a new sense of normalcy. One of the biggest challenges they faced was a hybrid learning schedule.

It seems that once students finally became accustomed to learning from home three days a week, the Pentucket Regional School District announced that all four elementary schools and the middle school would be going back to school five days a week. 

According to Pentucket sixth grader Ava Perry, going back to school five days a week is not exciting. When asked if she will sit at her desk more often, she replied, “Every second.” 

Being home three days a week is beneficial for students during this time because they are able to get outside and be active instead of being trapped at their desks all day at school. With such a large number of students at school, recess is forced to be socially distanced, leaving children drawing on the ground with chalk by themselves. 

“We don’t even get to run around with each other,” Pentucket sixth grader Alexis Thompson stated. She explained how she often stands around waiting for recess to end and can’t imagine how recess will look when her whole grade is back in school at the same time. 

Another challenge sixth graders are facing is the lack of preparation they have had to enter middle school in the fall. Both Thompson and Perry expressed their fear of having fallen behind from remote learning all school year. 

As for the current middle schoolers, they are more concerned with trying to adapt to a whole new schedule. 

Eighth grader Maeve Lucy says, “On remote days, I like that I just get to get work done so it is more productive. I can prioritize it myself and I am worried that if we all come back it will just feel like remote instruction at school. We will not be able to collaborate or do normal class stuff.” 

Being at home allows students to work at their own pace and do assignments when it is convenient for them. This could be a hard adjustment for them when they are back at school and have to do assignments when they are told to. 

On the other hand, there are some students excited to get back into the swing of things. 

Eighth grader Ashlyn Sullivan shared her positivity. “I am going to miss some luxuries from being at home, but I think I learn better at school. I work longer hours when I am home.”

Being at school can be a game changer for some struggling students, as they can get their grades up and be more focused with less distractions. 

Despite the mixed feelings between students, hopefully bringing students back to school full time will give everyone a feeling of normalcy again.