Are You Superstitious Or A “Little Stitious”?

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

Kate Conover, Writer

Across all sports leagues, divisions, and countries, many people or teams have superstitions or game day routines that they participate in. For example, at Pentucket Regional High School, many teams have a cheer or chant they do before they take the field, course, or track. 

Origins of Superstitions 

There are various types of superstitions that have been embedded in English culture. For instance, walking under a ladder brings bad luck, the number thirteen is unlucky, and so much more. But why does society believe these are true? Where did these superstitions come from? 

Almost five-thousand years ago, the superstition “walking under a ladder brings bad luck” originated. The Egyptians believed that a leaning ladder created a triangle shape which, in theory, represented the trinity of Gods. To Egyptians, it was disrespectful to the Gods to walk under the ladder.

Believe it or not, saying “bless you” after someone sneezes is also considered a superstition. This superstition began in the sixth century after there was a wide spread of disease throughout Italy; one of the most common symptoms was severe sneezing. Pope Gregory urged healthy people to pray for the sick using urgent phrases such as “God bless you.” Now, people throughout the world say “bless you” without even knowing it is a superstition. 

Team superstitions

Although it may not seem like it, many teams at Pentucket Regional High School have superstitions on game-day. These superstitions aren’t as severe as walking under a ladder, however, teams believe that their superstitions bring them good luck or a win against the opposing team. 

Indoor/Outdoor Track 

Sophomore Sydney Trout talks about the superstitions that occur on the Pentucket Regional Varsity Indoor Track team. “Oftentimes we kiss the baton before we run because it is supposed to bring good luck.” Trout says that without kissing the baton, the indoor track relay group doesn’t feel ready for their race.

Trout also said, “When the baton falls on the ground, we have to kiss it or it is bad luck.” Trout mentions that both the boys’ and girls’ track team does this before all meets. 

Cheer 

As for the cheerleading team, each cheerleader eats one green skittle before competing with the team. This tradition has been around for a long time and will continue for the cheerleaders. 

Cross Country

Junior Kaylie Dalgar, Pentucket’s number one runner, mentions some of the team’s superstitions before meets. Dalgar says, “before each race, I “shake out” with some of the other runners”. A “shakeout” consists of shaking out both hands and feet eight times, then seven, and so forth until the countdown hits one. 

In addition, before each cross-country race, the captains pick a runner to present a quote to get the rest of the team ready and motivated for the race.

Soccer 

Photo source: Daily News of Newburyport

The girls’ soccer team uses a variety of music to get ready for their games. Sydney Trout explains, “We listen to “La Mama” before every game to bring us good luck, everyone on the team sings it.” Trout then goes on to explain that they play the same song when they enter the field to get the team excited about their upcoming game. 

Basketball

Captain Audrey Conover, a senior at Pentucket, mentions some of the superstitions on the girls’ Varsity Basketball team. 

“Before each game we read a quote together in the locker room and everyone sits in the same spot.” This quote gets the girls’ team inspired and excited for the games. Conover then goes on to say, “even during our warmup, we are in the same spot in line.” However, superstitions on the basketball team are not limited to the players. 

Many coaches and assistant coaches follow their own superstitions before the game. Coach McNamara, for instance, wears the same shirt and tie for the whole season. If the team loses a game, he switches his shirt. 

Personal Superstitions 

Personal superstitions are actions an individual does before a game, meet, or competition, that is separate from the team. 

Dalgar, who participates on both the Pentucket track and cross country team, explains her superstitions. Dalgar responds, “I wear the same sweatshirt, sweatpants, and socks to every meet.” Dalgar feels the most comfortable in these clothes and performs better when she wears them. 

An anonymous Pentucket cheerleader also mentioned that she knocks on her head three times before competing in order to feel ready for the competition. 

Audrey Conover also describes some of her personal superstitions when it comes to basketball. She states, “before every game I eat the same energy bar.” Game-day fuel is important to Audrey, and eating something she knows will bring her energy is a big help. Conover also says, “I wear my hair the same way every game and even with the same hair elastics.”

Although team superstitions may not be as helpful to a group of athletes, personal superstitions can and always will be helpful for players in high school, college, or even professional leagues.