Water: The Source of Life

Photo Source: Shutterstock

Photo Source: Shutterstock

Jane Rizzo, Writer

All living things have a relationship with water. The Earth is over 70% water and the human body is more than half water, with each cell using water to function. According to an article from Harvard University, a loss of just 4% of our body water may lead to dehydration; a loss of 15% is fatal. Without water, we would not exist.

With a loss of water, comes a loss of life. However, water also has the power to heal. Salt water specifically has been shown to improve the healing process of a wound, piercing, and even a sore throat. The psychological benefits of water are adamant as well.  

Not only is water necessary to life itself, but it also indescribably attracts our attention. 

Mysteries of the Deep

(Photo Source: Getty Images)

“The ocean is such a mysterious, interesting place. The ocean is the one place that hasn’t been fully discovered, and there are places in the ocean the human eye has never seen. There are creatures among creatures that live in the ocean that have yet to be discovered. I think overall the need for discovery is why people are so drawn to it,” says an anonymous Pentucket student.

Many would agree with this idea. With only around 5% of the ocean explored, we are left with this mystery of the unknown. Throughout history, humans have crafted stories of the deep, constructed myths and urban legends, and grown to have phobias of what exists beyond what the eye can see. 

Jessica Brann, a senior at Pentucket, finds the ocean very frightening but she is absolutely fascinated by what is underneath the surface with the diverse plant and animal life. 

(Photo Source: Manny Dantyla)

To Brann, it is a mystery. Brann adds, “No one knows what lies in the depths, and legends of sea monsters and mermaids make it interesting. I find the ocean fascinating because it demands respect, but also shows a beautiful peacefulness. I also have a fear of the ocean, so I’m all for staying on the shore.”

Entrancement and Healing

Sometimes, we can just stare out at the ocean, taking in its expanse, and watch each wave lapse onto the next. It brings more than just a beautiful scene. It brings us peaceful consolidation. 

“The ocean makes me feel at peace, like there is nothing else going on in the world. Almost like an escape. I think people are drawn to the ocean because it is a natural part of the world and it holds power,” says Kate Conover, a Pentucket sophomore. 

Sophie Marcus, a Pentucket student, contributes, “The ocean makes me feel tranquil. For some reason, especially in the summertime, I find that I am at ease when I am at the beach and in the water. Maybe it is because it has pretty hues of blues, but I think I am drawn to it because it represents life in some way.”

“I love the ocean. It gives me a sense that everything is going to be okay. It is reassuring and soothing. I think this draws a lot of people to it. The sound of the waves, the smells, they all just have the ability to make someone happy. The beach also represents summer and I love summer,” says Kiki Sylvanowicz, a senior at Pentucket. 

(Photo Source: Universal Traveler)

All of this is true, we go to the beach on vacation to relax and destress from our daily lives. For many people around the world, water represents freedom from stress, as well as an escape from our reality. We often find that life feels the most real when we are in nature, or the ocean. 

Along with this, water is an extremely effective natural therapy. A common practice for athletes and rehabilitation patients is hydrotherapy; the use of water to treat a variety of symptoms throughout the body. While it is often done in a healthcare setting, anyone can use water to feel better. 

Whether it’s going to the ocean, taking a bubble bath, or even using an ice pack, water is something we have all used to take away both physical and mental pain, often without consciously knowing it.