Is It Worth Having A Job As A Teenager?

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

Julia Martins, Writer

With so many responsibilities already, does having a job benefit or hurt teenagers? 

Many parents encourage teens to get a job and earn their own money. In some ways, this does help them learn new skills and money management, but it is also another thing on their plates. 

Gabriella Bellacqua, a Junior at Pentucket High School, was asked about her opinion on teenagers having a job. 

Bellacqua stated, “Well I think it’s good to have a job because it helps prepare you for your future, but at the same time you’re only a kid once and you’re gonna work your whole life, why not take advantage of not having to work while you can.” 

This is not only great advice but it is helpful for teenagers and their parents to understand that we are still young and we’re probably going to work for the rest of our lives. Why not do what Bellacqua previously stated and take advantage of beginning a teenager? Teens can enjoy their teenage years by having fun and not having to worry about another responsibility.

Lydia Miller, also a Junior at Pentucket High school, was asked if she thinks it’s worth having a job as a teenager. Miller said, “I think it is worth it, because when you’re older you will have money.” 

(Photo Source: PEXELS)

This is a great point brought up, having a job young gives you the ability to save and prepare for your future. It also gives you the ability to buy and use the money you earned however you want. 

Many parents would rather you spend your own money instead of using theirs. Having a job not only allows this but also allows you to have a little freedom in what you want to spend your money on. 

But, a downside to having a job young is the fact that you are adding another responsibility to your schedule and one more thing you have to stress about. With school, sports, and after-school activities, is a job practical for students?

Unless you don’t participate in sports and after-school activities many students don’t have time for a job. 

With so many things going on during high school, having a job may not be super practical, but it is a great way for teenagers to learn new skills such as money management and responsibility, and because of this a job can also be a great experience for your future. But, it all comes down to if you, as a student have time and the ability to take on another responsibility.