What Would You Do if You Won the Lottery

Photo Source: Pexels.com

Photo Source: Pexels.com

Emily Bethmann, Writer

What would you do if you won the lottery? Would you travel? Give it to charity? Buy a mansion? When asked, students at Pentucket had a wide variety of responses. 

Many people answered very logically. Jessica Brann, a senior at Pentucket, said, ”I´d get a lawyer to help me manage the money…I’d put half my winnings in a retirement account.” Brann also explained that she would donate to multiple different charities, such as ”children’s hospitals, cancer research, and environmental stuff.”

Similarly, Tanner Bounsy, a junior, said he would ”give probably all of it to [his] parents to pay off all the money that they’ve spent taking care of me.” Bounsy also explained that, as well as giving it to his parents, he would also save some of money for college.

Other people said they would just use the money to enjoy life. For example, sophomore Eva Pappalardo said, “I would live the life that I’ve always wanted, which is one that is unpredictable and full of fun, travel, and adventure… I never want to be stuck in one place.” Pappalardo also stated that she would enjoy trying ”more extreme things like zip lining, skydiving, and more.”

Finally, the majority said that they would purchase or pay for things that they didn’t have the money for prior. Kayla Murphy, a sophomore, said, ”I would buy a house in a tropical place, like hawaii.” She also said that she would want to purchase cars for her family and friends. 

Similarly, another sophomore, Mia Bartholomew, said that she would buy a house someplace warm, such as in the South, buy a car, and then ”pay everything off.” 

The overwhelming majority is that most people would either save their money, give it to others, or buy something nice for themselves. Now the question is, what would you do if you won the lottery?