• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Pentucket’s Students’ Post High School Plans

Photo Source: Pexels.com
Photo Source: Pexels.com

Are you confused about what you want to be in life? Do you wonder what your peers are interested in doing post-high school? Have you ever thought about it? Well, my ‘ol fellows, in this next article I shall answer these pressing questions for you.

These are the people I have interviewed from each of our four grades. Four seniors, three juniors, three sophomores, and three freshmen.

Alex Donovan, a senior, says, “I want to get a masters in German or music education. This is due to my liking of music and being able to teach/ lead a classroom. I have had great German and music teachers over middle and HS, who inspired me on this path.”

AJ Haynes, a senior, states, “I plan to go to barber school because I would like to work with my Dad and I like cutting hair.”

Michael Inger, a senior, mentions how he wants to “Go to college and get a bachelor’s or maybe a master’s in computer science or mechanical engineering. My reasoning is to be successful and to progress faster; you can quickly move up the ranks when you are educated.”

Halen Burke, a senior, replies to my questions with how he is “Unsure, so perhaps a dance teacher/ dance education and real estate, I would like to do this to allow travel, and the amount plus flexibility of being in real estate can give me the money to dance. I can also settle down with the surplus of options in the career.”

Jonah Brian, a junior, remarks, “If I had to do one thing, I would want to be in the FBI.”

Morgan Trout, a junior, says, “I would like to attend architecture school and get my master’s degree. It is something I have always enjoyed.”

Zach Bishopp, a junior, responds, “I would like to attend college for a double major- political science and international business. I kinda wanna work for the state department, or the government in some capacity.”  

Abraham Miller, a junior, states he would like to “Go to college for computer engineering and get a master’s degree. My dad does this, and I have grown up with it, so it has become an easy thing for me.”

Regan Breen, a sophomore, mentions, “I want to go to college for sports management. This is because I like sports and watch them. I would love to manage a team.”

Lucy Collins, a sophomore, says, “I would like to major in psychology, and my goal is to become a licensed therapist to combat mental problems in adolescence. I want my master’s degree to get clients and money. It requires dedication from the many years of schooling.”

Sam Bachand, a sophomore, remarks, “Go to college and get a master’s in performing arts. So, I can get a career in playing jazz; that just clicks for me.”

Thea Scata, a freshman, states, “Getting a master’s in law or acting. I want to do this because I have always loved showing people the reason for what they have done. I also love acting because I can perform how I feel and portray a story through emotions.”

Jack Curry, a freshman, utters “Maybe start working? I don’t have much planned out yet.”

Quinn Wellen, a freshman, replies, “I’m probably going to choose college after high school so I can work at a higher level and that’s also what both of my parents did. I was thinking of going to medical school to get my MD (doctor of medicine) there!”

I also sent out a survey to Pentucket students and these are the statistics of those answers:

• All were seniors 
  • All wanted to go to college and their career opinions were:
  • Narjis Musa- It will open opportunities for publishing, new friends, and their writing skills as storytelling is important to them.
  • Courtney Locke- They were interested in video game development and coding because they are very passionate about gaming so they can create something along those lines.
  • Emily Jones- She would like to become a data analyst because she values education and wants to get a job that will comfortably support her and her family. 
  • Jake Joyce- He says that college “seemed better than the military” and he would like to go into kinesiology to help injured athletes.
  • Others (N/A)- They want to be educated and have a good life.

My Summary of this information:

What I have found is that most freshmen don’t know what they would like to do, and the ones that do have an idea, generally know what and why. Sophomores tend to at least have some kind of idea as they know what they like and what they will go for. Juniors have some kind of plan, however, general. Seniors have got it all figured out, and by this point in the year most have applied and gotten their acceptance or rejection letters. Overall, just about all would like to go to college, then, some are interested in working (mostly freshmen), and just about none want to join the military.

I hope that you have been enlightened by the information of your peers and have a better understanding of what is going on with post-high school.

View Comments (1)