Large Turnout at Groveland Black Lives Matter Protest

Photo Source: Lisa Pratt

Abigail Cain, Editor in Chief

On Monday, June 8, a group of organizers held a protest to solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. Located at Elm Park in Groveland, almost 300 people participated with signs of unity, support for black Americans, and demanding an end to systemic racism in the United States.

The protest, which received an immense amount of positive responses through loud beeping of car horns and cheering, was held for three hours. There, the crowd listened to several speakers share their thoughts on how people must go forward by educating themselves, listening to others, and fighting for justice. After several speeches, the crowd gathered and kneeled for eight minutes and 46 seconds, the amount of time that George Floyd was kneeled on by police before being killed.

Although the protesters came from various backgrounds, such as students from local schools and residents of nearby towns, the overall group was able to come together and become one synonymous community. The group was also comprised of all ages, from young children to senior members of local towns, all chanting the same names and phrases.

Later on in the day, donations were collected to give to Black Lives Matter and the Massachusetts Bail Fund, an organization that provides up to $2000 to low-income families that are unable to pay for bail. The organizers were able to collect $990.21 that afternoon.

It is important to note that the overwhelming majority of the protesters wore masks and were able social distance themselves from others.