Parking Problems

Frustrated.

That’s one of the many emotions that students are feeling this time of year when it comes to parking. Over the course of the past few weeks, the morning talk is usually all about whose spot has been taken, or just complaints about the lack of effort the school is putting into solving the problem.

What’s the school going to do about this? That is the question that everyone is asking. So to get to the bottom of this, I sat down with our assistant principal Mr. Evans and asked him what he had to say about the matter.

“I really wouldn’t even call it an issue,” says Evans. “It’s more of just a pain in the butt.”

However, according to numbers in the parking lot out of a total count of fifty cars, nine were in the wrong spot and seventeen had no pass at all. That’s a total of 26 students out of a sample of only fifty not following the rules of parking. The numbers show we clearly have some sort of issue here.

Evans brings up points on how many seniors this year are so quick to forget that they were the ones last year stealing spots, and that if they just had a little patience, things would go a little smoother. When asked about the steps he’s taken in the past and is taking to work towards a solution, he points out that on the contrary to what most will say, accommodations have been made in the past, such as paving over space in the back by the tennis courts, making new spots for those who drive bikes, and moving miscellaneous objects such as basketball hoops to make more room for students.

When I asked if there would ever be a complete solution to the problem, Evans states, “The only way to prevent it is to have someone out there every morning checking passes and names. I don’t have the time to do it, and we don’t have the money to hire someone.”

To summarize what Mr. Evans had to say, the parking is not an issue; it’s just a part of the new school year. He sympathizes for those who pay the $180 and understands it’s a senior privilege, but he asks for patience from those who were causing some issues themselves not too long ago.

However, what some had to say was the direct opposite of his points, such as what senior Sam Romano shared on the topic.

However, when asked whether parking at Pentucket was a legitimate issue, she said “Yes! It’s the biggest issue. Every car parked in the wrong spot should be towed. And I should not have to take it into my own hands. I paid $180, and I just got a sign.”

She also points out how it’s ridiculous that students should feel the need to rush to school to get here early to ensure that nobody takes their spot, especially because they paid so much money for it. She believes that more towing will get the job done and will hopefully scare those who steal spots everyday into following the rules.

Another senior, Julia Recine, made some points about towing as well. “They can always try towing and scaring them, but otherwise nothing’s gonna work. My mom’s friend used to work as the principal at Mashpee High School, and they started towing when they had this problem and they saw great results.”

When asked if there would ever be a permanent solution, Recine says, “Honestly, no, because whenever someone gets their license they will immediately want to just drive to school instead of getting a ride from parents or riding the bus, so it’s always going to happen.”

Other students did not feel as strongly, one anonymous student saying how they were one of those who participated in stealing spots last year.  Therefore if it happened to them it would not make them as upset as someone who has always followed the rules.

“If it happens, it happens,” says an anonymous student. “I did it last year, and everyone knows it. So I guess it would be fair if it were to happen to me.”

The saying goes “two wrongs don’t make a right.” But in this case the students who don’t follow the rules and continue the wave of stolen spots are just wrong, and contribute to the ongoing conflicts and problems. However, the big question still lies unanswered: will the cycle ever stop?