• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Finalmouse Starlight-12 Phantom Mouse Review: How Does It Hold Up After 3 Years?

(Photo Source: Optimum Tech)
(Photo Source: Optimum Tech)

Introduction

If you are a PC gamer then you will know how impactful a mouse can be to your gaming performance. To be the best in a game you need perfect crosshair placement, click timing, and reaction time. All of these skills can be trained, but a good mouse can put you far ahead of the competition. This article will help you understand the Starlight-12 Phantom, the history behind it, and if it is still a viable option today.

Finalmouse and Controversy

Finalmouse is a California-based, private company that has had an extremely controversial history in the gaming industry. They are well known for releasing expensive mice in limited quantities, which means that the mice are usually difficult to get. They are also known for their inconsistent quality control, often upsetting the customers who are lucky enough to get their hands on the mice. 

Starlight-12 Initial Release

At the time of its release on November 8th, 2021, the Starlight-12 Phantom cost $189.99 and was the lightest full-size mouse in existence, coming in at only 42 grams for the small size. It came equipped with a custom PixArt 3370 sensor and Kailh GM 8.0 switches. Unfortunately, there was a very common flaw among the mice where the scroll wheel was not centered. However, Finalmouse was able to repair units for any users who were dissatisfied. 

How It Stacks Up Today

At the time of writing this article, Finalmouse is currently in the process of releasing their brand new UltralightX which weighs in at only 31 grams for the small size and is equipped with the latest PixArt 3395 sensor. The rest of the industry has caught up to the success of the Starlight-12 and has started to release similar lightweight mice with magnesium shells. However, the Starlight-12 is still in the picture as they can be bought second-hand for prices as low as $100. 

My Experience

I bought the Starlight-12 second-hand a few months ago and have used it to play games such as Fortnite, Valorant, and Minecraft. The mouse performance can still hold up in a competitive setting, as I have used it to reach the highest rank in Fortnite for the past three seasons. It is also very comfortable and can support my hand and wrist for 8-hour Minecraft sessions on the weekends. However, one issue I have had with the mouse is that the mouse clicks feel very heavy, making it difficult to maintain consistent timing, especially on the left click. Finalmouse has said publicly that this is due to the magnesium shell not being very malleable. 

Verdict

Overall I think that the Starlight-12 is still a very solid mouse in 2024 and I would recommend it for $100 or under. If you cannot find it for the right price, or have money to burn, you may want to consider the newer UltralightX.