• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Fall High School Sports

Photo Source: Kaylie Linehan
Photo Source: Kaylie Linehan

What to know about the PRHS sports team- Fall HS sports

Have you ever wondered “what sports just happened? What did I miss?” or even thought “what is there to look forward too next year? well this article would be for you! I have made a list below of the fall high school sports.

Football: 

Coaches:  Mr. Leary and Mr. Hayden

Captain(s): Anthony (Louie) Depalma, Caleb Meisner, and Kevin Reiter

Benefits: The camaraderie of everyone coming together for a common goal. It also strengthens your ability to persist through adversity both in a physical and mental sense.

Number of members: There are around 48 high schoolers on the football team between JV and Varsity.

When they meet: Every Monday through Thursday from 3 to 5/5:30. On Fridays, their games start at 6:30 and can go on until almost 9. We also meet on Saturday mornings at 8 a.m. for post-game film.

Commitments/ Drawbacks: Both the time and physical requirements. It takes a huge effort to keep up with classes when you would not be starting homework until around 7:30 or 8 every night. Also, injuries are very common and there is almost always a player or two who gets a major injury requiring surgery each year.

Facts:

• This is the first year every single player on both JV and Varsity has had a home game at the high school! 
  • Their quarterback Caleb Meisner is currently somewhere around 160-170 passing yards off of a school record.
  • Most of the upperclassmen have actually played with our Georgetown counterparts during youth so the combination of the teams this year was practically seamless!

Cross Country: 

Coach(es): Dr. Ruland and Mr. Sherman

Captain(s): Zoe Davis, Logan Durocher, and Kaylie Dalgar

Benefits:  Being with a team and working together to improve.  

Number of members: 40-45 highschoolers

When they meet: After school every weekday for practices and meets against other schools. 

Commitments/ Drawbacks: Members of the team will have to be committed, showing up to practice every day prepared. You will not see much improvement unless you push yourself at practice. 

Facts: 

• Some of the fastest runners are not their oldest. 
  • The varsity top 7 runners have every grade in it. 

Field Hockey

Coach(es): Mrs. Beaton

Captains: Gabby Silva, Angie Bogucki, and Alyssa Persichetti

Benefits: I found throughout all of them they thought that the community that they have is #1, the team chemistry is great and everyone is friends so they have a lot of fun together.

Number of members: 17-18 high schoolers.

When they meet: Every school day 3-4:30pm

Commitments/ Drawbacks: You have to dedicate a lot of your time. Every practice is mandatory, so you have to figure out how to manage your time well. If you are a varsity player you 100% need to put in your best efforts in practices and games. 

Facts: 

• The game is very fast, but challenging which makes it fun. 
  • You can learn so many new skills every day that you can incorporate into the games.
  • Coach Beaton has been coaching at Pentucket for nearly 30 years. 
  • They have a team sleepover before Halloween every year. 

Golf

Coach(es): Mr Hickey 

Captain(s): Nick Kutcher

Benefits:  Comraderie, enjoyment of sport, can do whole life unlike other sports.

Number of members: 18

When they meet: Monday-Thursday, varies on if it is a practice or a match after school, also if it is 9 holes (which takes about 2 Hours) or the driving range, 

Commitments/ Drawbacks: none? Time of course, assuming you like it

Facts:

• We can play our home courses, survivor clubs are a nice treat so high school can play on nice fields

Volleyball

Coach(es):  Kelly Lyons and Emily O’Reilly 

Captain(s): Emme Terry, Ava Snyder, and Jocelyn Bickford

Benefits: having a sense of belonging in a team sport, learning how to communicate with others, meeting friends from other teams, and having a fun after-school activity.

Number of members: There are 29 high schoolers, 28 players and 1 manager.

When they meet: They meet every day either having practice 2:30-5, 5-7, or we have a gameday in which JV will play at 4 p.m. and varsity will play at 5:30.

Commitments/ Drawbacks: Show up every day for practice or games and keep your grades up. One other commitment was you need to run a mile in under 10 minutes for tryouts.

Facts:

• They dress up for every gameday 
  • Pasta parties before big games 
  • They host clinics for middle schoolers to learn how to play

Girls Soccer

Coach(es):  Mr. Casey

Captain(s): Allie Cacciapuoti, Jamie Dahlgard, and Gabby Bevelaqua.

Benefits: all the girls on the team “become really close, almost like a family”

Number of members: 23 high schoolers.

When they meet: After school from 3-5 on most days and they have games every Tuesday and Thursday. The games tend to start at 4.

Commitments/ Drawbacks: Soccer takes up a lot of time, doing your homework late at night and staying up super late to study just because of pasta party (you can also spend a lot of money in things like like buddy gifts and dress up days sometimes).

Facts: 

• last year they had the best record ever in Pentucket history, only losing 2 games and being undefeated 10 games straight. 

This is what I have found out about the fall high school sports found here at Pentucket, now go! Do something! Find out what other sports there may be, or perhaps even join one as if you don’t what would you do with this knowledge?