• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Who is Vermin Supreme?

Photo Source: GBH
Photo Source: GBH

As the year progresses, millions of people across the nation have narrowed their focus towards the presidential election this upcoming fall. As of now, the two most likely candidates to be on the ballot for the Republican and Democratic parties are Donald Trump and Joe Biden. 

But what if we told you there was one underrated pick that the majority of Americans have been overlooking for the past few decades? 

That is right, we are talking about Vermin Supreme!

Supreme is a political satire candidate who runs for the presidential seat every year. He started his campaign in New Hampshire, and he usually does not make it further than that. Before we can address Supreme’s specific ideas, though, we have to cover what it truly means to be a satirical candidate. 

By definition from study.com, “Political satire, which uses humor to make commentary about politics, is allusion and caricature. Supreme’s fits right into this category of candidate, and his background certainly fits this description.” So, let us take a look at just who this wacky candidate is.

Who is Vermin Supreme?

Supreme was born in Rockport, Massachusetts, and attended and graduated from Gloucester High School in 1979. He participated in the Great Peace March for the Global Nuclear Disarmament in 1986. Supreme’s first step into the political sector started in 1987 when he ran for public office. Supreme is a political satirist because of the way he uses comedy to reach various audiences and to allow others to view political landscapes abstractly. 

Photo Source: The Boston Globe

If one was to look up a picture of Supreme, you will most likely see him suiting his infamous boot atop his head. When Boston Public Radio asked why he wears a black boot on his head he said, “It is a boot that has absolute magic that has allowed me to exponentially amplify my First Amendment free speech voice, and communicate with people around the world.” 

Furthermore, it serves as a symbol of the media’s obsession with political candidates. Supreme elaborated on this idea and according to WGBH he said, “Personnel from the media will ask me about the boot and I tell them that the boot is a pile of excrement and that they are the flies that buzz around it.”.

What does he stand for?

While he seems like a funny character, to be a political candidate one must back up their beliefs. Supreme is not a candidate that stands for many heavy topics, or even relevant ones for that matter. For example, some of his core values include polynomials (giving everyone in America a free pony), implementing a mandatory tooth-brushing law, and investing in time travel research.

Photo Source: IMDb

Although this all seems quite silly, he is still attempting to make some genuine impact in the political world regarding the way he presents himself. His infamous boot that he wears upon his head is, “… a symbol…of the media’s obsession with candidates” (WGBH). 

But he puts on this show in such a way that is so extremely exaggerated that it is almost genius. However, this success has not shown itself in his election results until most recently when he won the Libertarian Presidential Preference Primary in New Hampshire on February 11, 2020.

What is Vermin Supreme doing now?

In 2020, Supreme ran as a libertarian. He focused on using satire to address legitimate political issues within American society. That being said, he showed strong support for ending foreign wars and wanted to pardon non-violent drug offenders. He also wanted to reduce the nation’s incarceration rate.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, he was Donald Trump’s biggest critic. Supreme argued that his administration should have paid close attention to the virus and made testing more accessible to the general public. 

On March 3rd, 2020 Supreme was declared the winner of the Massachusetts primary. However, he dropped out of the race in May when Jo Jorgenson received the Libertarian Party’s nomination for president.

Currently Supreme is running again for president in 2024 for the Democratic nomination. So far, Supreme has only contained ballot access to the state of New Hampshire. He placed fifth in the Democratic primary with a 0.7% and appeared on the ballot for the Legal Marijuana Now’s party nomination in Minnesota. 

Vermin Supreme may seem wacky and wild, but what he stands for provides the American people with a basis for another perspective of modern politics. He is the gateway for analyzing why our governmental figures make the decisions that they do and how we can see past the traditional way of looking at them.

View Comments (3)