• Juneteenth/No School- June 19th
  • Senior Class Trip, Smitty's Cinema - May 28th
  • Graduation- June 1st
  • Prom/Half Day- May 24th
  • Last Day of School for Seniors - May 24th
  • Last Day Of School (non-seniors) - June 14th
  • Memorial Day/No School- May 27th
  • Credit for life- May 23rd

Maybe Someday; The Book of Second Chances

Courtesy of Simon & Schuster

Maybe Someday is a romance novel written by uprising author Colleen Hoover. Hoover has written the famous book series It Ends With Us and It Starts With Us which is how she gained her popularity in the early 21st century. The main focus of Hoover’s books are to hook readers in with a dramatic plot twist, and this is what enticed me to continue reading Maybe Someday. Since gaining popularity, Hoover has gone on to write dozens of award winning novels including the one we are about to discuss, Maybe Someday

Maybe Someday is a thrilling emotional rollercoaster that all young females should consider reading. 

About the Book:

Maybe Someday tells the story of Sydney, a young girl going through a breakup. Sydney sits on her balcony every night to watch her very talented and very attractive neighbor play guitar. Little does Sydney know that while she is outside her best friend and boyfriend are inside sleeping together. Thankfully, her neighbor, Ridge notices this and immediately tells Sydney which leads to her ultimately breaking up with her boyfriend and moving in with Ridge as she tries to find a new place to live. Although Sydney is heartbroken from her ex, she finds herself crushing on Ridge hard…that is until she finds out he has a girlfriend. 

Ridge has been dating his girlfriend, Maggie for over 6 years. He was drawn to her after finding out she had Cystic Fibrosis, a life threatening illness. He has always felt the need to take her under his wing and protect her. Despite having a girlfriend, Ridge and Sydney still spend time together writing music and creating songs. They both understand the boundary between them. However, Ridge seems to have developed feelings for Sydney.

One night when the two of them were writing music together, they found themselves kissing. Although they both knew that it was wrong, it felt so right. Ridge and Sydney text about this interaction since Ridge is deaf and they talk through everything. 

Shortly after this incident, Maggie, Ridge’s girlfriend, finds out about the kiss and immediately confronts him. Regardless of Maggie’s chronic illness, she breaks up with Ridge because she said that he holds her back from living her life to the fullest. 

Sydney knows that she wants to be with Ridge, but she feels immense amounts of guilt when talking to him because she was the leading cause of Ridge and Maggie’s breakup. Ridge reciprocates those feelings, so they both give each other the proper time to heal and figure out what the right thing to do is. 

After three long months of no contact, Sydney gets herself a nice apartment and Ridge is working on new songs for Sydney. Ridge surprises Sydney with a song he wrote for her. Sydney lights up with joy, because she is so grateful that the man she is in love with is finally ready to start a relationship. They both go back to Sydney’s apartment and spend their evening as any happy couple would.

pixabay.com

What Makes This Book so Good? 

This book is fantastic seeing as the story compels various emotions from the very first page. I was hooked into this story immediately because of the way Hoover expresses the characters emotions. Reading this book makes you feel like you are in the characters’ heads and you know what they are going to say before they say it. There is something to be said about the amount of dramatic irony present in this book.That is how well Colleen evokes her character’s feelings. 

This book tells the story of a heartbroken girl trying to find the light again. Who does not love reading a heart-pounding love story? Sydney is not only heartbroken, but she loses everything she has. That is a difficult position to be in as a young woman, but ultimately she pulls through and she finds a way to stay positive and even make some friends along the way. Her only goal in the end is to be in a loving relationship, and eventually she is not only in a loving relationship, but she becomes the happiest she has been in her whole life. 

Interview: 

Freshman Isabella Martins shares her thoughts regarding the book, “I was never a fan of reading, but after finding out about Colleen Hoover, all that changed. I have grown to love reading. I have read many books written by Colleen Hoover, but none of them sparked my interest like Maybe Someday.”

This book is irresistible. It is genuine and evokes real human emotion that goes into the deeper meaning of love. There are also some intriguing topics that make this book a must read. 

The Important Lesson:

Maybe Someday is a captivating romance novel that explores the ups and downs of relationships.  There is not just one lesson in this novel. There is a recurring theme that hope will lead you to the light; meaning that you cannot just expect to have a perfect life with perfect relationships, because nobody has a perfect life. But if you take risks and have hope for your future, you are more likely to succeed. 

Ultimately, the lesson in Maybe Someday is that you need to believe in love, in all its complexities, and that it is worth pursuing. 

View Comments (1)